ეთნოლოგია-ეთნოგრაფიის კათედრა თბილისის სახელმწიფო უნივერსიტეტში/ Department of Ethnology-Ethnography at Tbilisi State University

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Date
2023-04-27
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
ივანე ჯავახიშვილის სახელობის თბილისის სახელმწიფო უნივერსიტეტის გამომცემლობა
Abstract
The Department of Ethnology-Ethnography at Tbilisi State University has a long and interesting history, its founder was academician Giorgi Chitaia, the founder of the Georgian Ethnological School, who for 50 years led the training of new ethnographers. Since 1921, he was the chair of biology, anthropology and ethnology at the Tbilisi State University under the name of ethnography- ethnology that was headed by Giorgi Javakhishvili. In 1926 by the recommendation of Ivane Javakhisvili, Giorgi Chitaia was enrolled as a post-graduate student in the Department of Ethnology. In 1934, under the leadership of Giorgi Nioradze, the Department of History of Material Culture was created at the newly established Faculty of History, which combined: archaeology, ethnography and art history. From 1935 to 1938, the Department of Archeology and Ethnography was called the “Department of the History of Pre- Class Society” (Head Giorgi Nioradze). In 1939, as a result of Giorgi Chitaia’s selfless work, the Department of Ethnography was separated and Docent Giorgi Chitaia was appointed on the position of Head of the Department. The members of the newly established Department were: candidate of historical sciences Vera Bardavelidze, candidate of historical sciences Rusudan Kharadze, post-graduate students: Mikheil Gegeshidze and Mikheil Chartovani. Akaki Sokhadze, Ilia Chkonia, Ioseb Nanobashvili and Margalita Adamia were joined them from 1940. The first protocol of the newly established ethnography session dates back to 1940, which allows us to restore the initial period of teaching ethnography in Georgia. In the same year, the first Ethnographic Field Station was established in Barisakho, Khevsureti. In 1951, the Department of Ethnography was abolished and joined the Department of Archaeology. From 1968, ethnography was again formed as a separate Department and it was headed by Giorgi Chitaia until 1973. Between 1973 and 1983, the Department of Ethnography was headed by Docent Andro Lekiashvili, who was replaced by Professor Vakhtang Shamiladze. As a result of tireless work of Mr. Vakhtang, a scientific laboratory for studying ethnic culture and national traditions, as well as a scientific laboratory of ethnoecology were created in the Department. During Mr. Vakhtang's tenure, “Academic Giorgi Chitaia’ Cabinet” was opened in 1987. At the same time, the Department of Ethnography changed its name and was called the Department of Ethnology, which existed until 2006. In 2006, the Department of Ethnology was abolished and the “Teaching Scientific Institute of Ethnology” was established in its place, which successfully continues the excellent traditions, the founders of which were our great teachers.
Description
Keywords
კათედრა, ეთნოლოგია, ეთნოგრაფია, Department, Ethnology, Ethnography
Citation
ივანე ჯავახიშვილის დაბადებიდან 147-ე წლისთავისადმი მიძღვნილი სამეცნიერო კონფერენცია, თეზისები, თბილისი, 2023, გვ.: 30-34